38005Re: [Feature Request]: &metasendsescape

    Dec 1, 2004
      Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto wrote:

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >It works for me:
      > >
      > > :map <M-a> lll
      > >
      > >Pressing Alt-a has the effect of "lll".
      > >
      > >Make sure 'encoding' is set to "utf-8" before the mappings are defined,
      > >otherwise it might not work. Changing 'encoding' while Vim is running
      > >has many side effects. Best is to set it as early as possible and leave
      > >it alone.
      > >

      > Ok, I'll gladly take your word for it, even though I couldn't make it
      > work here.

      There were a few xterm versions that produced illegal utf-8 byte
      sequences for Alt-key combinations. You could try installing a newer
      one. Version 197 is just out: ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm

      > One issue bugs me: as much as it is easy to get your terminal to behave
      > the right way when you're using xterm, standard terminals like the
      > linux console and gnome-terminal default to sending an ESC prefix, and
      > there appears to be no easy (at least findable) way to change that!

      I think you should report that as a bug: Pressing a key with Alt can't
      be distinguished from pressing Esc and that key.

      > Just imagine how many console/gnome-terminal users have been bugged by the
      > fact their <M-c> maps don't work. I had to write an ioctl() C snippet to
      > change that in the console, but I can't find any way to do it with gnome-
      > terminal, as much as I suspect there might be an obscure control sequence.
      > This is a problem which, in my point of view, should be considered with
      > attention, and mentioned with care in the docs.

      Unfortunately, there are programmers around that don't understand the
      implications of the ideas they have. It probably looked like a good
      idea to them. It takes a while to find out the disadvantages of a
      solution. Some people try to ignore the disadvantages...

      SUPERIMPOSE "England AD 787". After a few more seconds we hear hoofbeats in
      the distance. They come slowly closer. Then out of the mist comes KING
      ARTHUR followed by a SERVANT who is banging two half coconuts together.