37927Re: Patch to add the vimgrep command

    Nov 19, 2004
      Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

      > Dnia pi±tek, 5 listopada 2004 02:36, Yegappan Lakshmanan napisa³:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > The attached patch implements the vimgrep command. This patch
      > > is against the Vim 6.3 sources.
      > >
      > > The syntax of the command is:
      > > :vimgrep <pattern> <filename(s)>
      > >
      > That's great!
      >
      > One organizational thing: wouldn't it be better to make it an option to
      > :grep command and 'grepprg' option - "builtin" - like for 'term' option?
      >
      > Note: this is question to Bram and other users so don't hurry to make it
      > real :)

      When using ":grep" and setting 'grepprg' to something specific to use
      internal grepping, it's easier to type the command. But it will not be
      compatible with previous versions, since the Vim pattern works a bit
      different from the external grep program.

      When using ":vimgrep" it's easy to switch between external and internal
      grepping. The only disadvantage appears to be that the command is
      longer to type.

      It would also be possible to do both: Supply ":vimgrep" that always does
      it internally, and allow setting 'grepprg' to make ":grep" work
      internally. That at least makes ":grep" work for systems that don't
      have an external grep command. And scripts can use ":vimgrep", as it
      works the same way on all systems.

      --
      "Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can
      never learn anything from history." (George Bernard Shaw)