37421Re: vim 6.3 errors on sunos 4.1.3_U1

  • George V. Reilly
    Aug 9, 2004
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

      >IMHO, a function like strcmp() should not be emulated in C because of speed
      >constraints. If you want to rewrite it, OK, but do it in assembly language
      >(and since assembly is inherently non-portable, write a different version
      >for each possible processor...). For example, on the i86 family, I believe
      >that REPE CMPSB is significantly faster than the loop described above in C,
      >even if you first have to do a REPNE SCASB to find the null byte.

      This fragile approach is worthwhile only if strcmp() is a major
      bottleneck. Most Vim operations consume minimal amounts of CPU time on a
      modern gigahertz processor. Even on a decade-old Sparc, rewriting strcmp
      in assembler is unlikely to yield a noticeable improvement in Vim.

      --
      Audemus jura nostra defendere...
      [Let us dare defend our rights.]