36783Re: Extended ASCII characters garbled in Vim 6.3b [Win32 console]

    Jun 3, 2004
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

      > Are you sure it's 1252? When I set 'enc' to "utf-8" in gvim, then do
      > ":view ++enc=cp1252 upascii.txt" (the file I sent with my previous
      > post), then "setl fenc?" the answer is "cp437"... Apparently, when
      > told to use code page 1252, gvim uses 437 instead.

      If you have already opened a file, then another edit command will use
      the same buffer. You can't have two buffers for the same file (that
      would be very confusing).

      Perhaps a warning about the "++enc" argument being ignored would be
      appropriate? It's confusing, because when you do the same command again
      while already editing the buffer, the buffer _is_ reloaded. That's
      because you indicate you want to re-edit the file.

      Another possibility would be to reload the file, so that other windows
      show the buffer also with the new encoding. This is then only to be
      done if the "++enc" argument differs from 'fileencoding'.

      --
      This planet has -- or rather had -- a problem, which was this: most
      of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time.