36765Re: Extended ASCII characters garbled in Vim 6.3b [Win32 console]

  • David Brown
    Jun 2, 2004
      On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:59:25PM -0400, Craig Barkhouse wrote:

      > OK, by "ASCII art" I think I do mean what you call "DOS characters" --
      > extended ASCII characters in the 128-255 range. These include special
      > graphic symbols as well as certain accented characters.

      That is a severly broken choice of terminology, though. ASCII defines
      the 0-127 characters. Having the high bit set drops you into numerous
      possible code pages, or other encodings. Usually the term ASCII is used
      to indicate that the characters are 7-bit clean.

      Dave Brown
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic