35011RE: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Mar 1, 2004
      On Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the
      silence of shunyata and uttered:

      > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
      >> There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
      >> well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
      >> better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
      >> You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
      >
      > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
      > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
      >
      > :h dos16
      > :h dos32
      > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

      Are you sure? I think you mean this:

      """
      Dos16 version Can be used on any MS-DOS system, only uses up to 640
      Kbyte of
      memory. Also runs on OS/2, Windows 95, and NT. Excludes some
      Vim-specific features (autocommands, syntax highlighting,
      etc.). Recommended for use on pre-386 machines.
      *dos32*
      Dos32 version Requires 386 processor and a |DPMI| driver, uses all
      available memory. Supports long file names and the Windows
      clipboard, but NOT on Windows NT. Recommended for MS-DOS,
      Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

      There are also two versions that run under Windows:
      Win32 version Requires Windows 95 or Windows NT, uses all available
      memory, supports long file names, etc. Has some problems on
      Windows 95. Recommended for Windows NT. See |os_win32.txt|
      Win32 GUI Requirements like the Win32 version, but runs in its own
      window, instead of a console. Has scrollbars, menu, etc.
      Recommended for Windows 95 and Windows NT. See |gui-w32|.
      """

      I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it. It
      has always being unstable for me.
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic