34152RE: Line numbering

  • Keith Roberts
    Dec 11, 2003

      1) You should bottom-post (put your responses BELOW, not ABOVE what you are
      replying to). You are probably using Outlook (or another email client which
      doesn't know about bottom-posting). I use it also, but after being flamed
      repeatedly for bottom-posting, I learned to do so *in spite of* Outlook. :)
      You'll notice that I moved your response, and added mine below it.

      2) :set stl? Will show the current 'statusline' setting.
      By default, it's empty, which merely displays the buffername. I use:
      :set statusline=[%n]%f\ %m%r%y%<{%{&ff}}\ %=%l,%c%V=%p%%
      Which, among other things, adds the buffer number inside brackets on the
      left. You could put the line number there instead:
      :set statusline=[%{Nr2Hex(line('.'))}]%f\ %m%r%y%<{%{&ff}}\
      %=%l,%c%V=%p%%
      This uses the function defined below.

      3) Here's a function to return the hex equivalent of a number (from :h
      eval-examples):
      :" The function Nr2Hex() returns the Hex string of a number.
      :func Nr2Hex(nr)
      : let n = a:nr
      : let r = ""
      : while n
      : let r = '0123456789ABCDEF'[n % 16] . r
      : let n = n / 16
      : endwhile
      : return r
      :endfunc