33828Re: trouble compiling w perl

  • Dan Sharp
    Oct 9, 2003
      scott wrote:

      > buffer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
      > _perl_buf_free
      > ex_docmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external
      > symbol _ex_perldo
      > ex_docmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external
      > symbol _ex_perl
      > main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
      > _perl_end
      > window.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
      > _perl_win_free
      > gvim.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
      > NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
      > 'D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\VC98\BIN\link.exe' : return cod
      > e '0x460'
      > Stop.
      >
      > i am building big with gui, MS-Windows 32 bit,
      > including python 2.3, which has
      > never been a problem
      >
      > my compiler is msvc 6.0
      >
      > IIRC, i started not being able to include perl after i
      > upgraded it to 5.80 -- it's
      > a binary downloaded from ActiveState

      I believe all the 'unresolved externals' you are seeing are in
      if_perl.c, so apparently that file is not getting compiled correctly.
      Is perl.exe in your PATH? It is called during compile to generate
      if_perl.c from if_perl.xs. I have seen instances where the conversion
      fails, so you get an empty if_perl.c file. I would have thought you
      would see a compile error about this, though.

      Try doing a
      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak (your options here) clean
      and compile again. ActiveState perl 5.8 works fine for me, so it
      shouldn't be a problem code-wise. Probably just a configuration error.

      Dan Sharp
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic