33463Re: [vimdev] wish: semi-automatic inst of syntax files from central location (www.vim.org) ?

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Aug 7, 2003
      On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
      > What if vim.org had a stable URL for querying the latest version, and
      > for downloading the syntax files, and the vim had a plugin allowing
      > for semi-automatic remote downloading (and installing) the syntax files ?
      > By semi-automatic, I mean that auto-installing plugin would
      > ask user whether to query/download from central repository.

      Several points:

      * Automatic queries: having vim ask the user if it should
      check a central repository for updates to syntax/*.vim
      files would rapidly grow tiresome. One would receive
      such a query every time one opened a file!

      * New syntax file queries: this situation is probably less

      Guess I don't care for querying the user about this. However, the idea
      of a syntax-highlighting repository seems beneficial to me, as many
      computers seem to have internet access these days.

      I have a script (<GetLatestVimScripts.vim>, available at
      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=642) that
      automates querying vim.sf.net for the latest versions of desired scripts
      and downloading them as indicated. I'm sure it could easily be
      modified to do the same sort of thing for syntax files. It uses wget.

      I haven't been able to get Python to run on my old SGI; that reason
      plus lack-of-time is why, for example, I haven't gotten aap/agide
      running on it. I'd rather keep Python/Perl/Ruby/etc out of the
      loop for downloading syntax files, except as an optional thing.

      Such a repository could be used by Bram to build a separate syntax
      highlighting (why not indent, too?) downloadable file
      (vim-6.X-synhi.tar.bz2) automatically for those who would find it useful
      and remove it from vim-6.2.tar.bz2.

      IMHO the repository would need to restrict updates to their official
      maintainers, however. Apparently anyone can send updates for any
      scripts without the need to contact the original author of them, let
      alone have any need to get their acquiescence. We're lucky some jerk
      hasn't decided to flood the current archive with thousands of bogus

      Chip Campbell

      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __