33453Re: wish: semi-automatic inst of syntax files from central location (www.vim.org) ?

  • Yakov Lerner
    Aug 7, 2003
      David Necas (Yeti) wrote:
      > Yakov Lerner wrote:
      > The file -> filetype mapping is done in filetype.vim (and
      > scripts.vim), and isn't always that simple as `*.spec => spec'.
      >
      > And if you have working filetype detection for the filetype,
      > you have the syntax file too, unless you intentionally
      > didn't install it.
      >
      > So how would the silly thing find there's something to offer
      > in the first place?

      Other than by unrecognized extension (*.spec), I agree with you,
      it's impossible. Science fiction. Unless 'InstallSyntax' downloads
      the updated copy of filetype.vim first, maybe ...

      However, assuming that 'InstallSyntax' does download the updated
      copy of filetype.vim, it's possible that manual 'InstallSyntax'
      will guess and download the new syntax file:

      :InstallSyntax " for current file, no arguments needed
      vim: quering www.vim.org .. latest version is 1.27 .. sh.vim installed.
      user: wow!
      :InstallSyntax *.spec " for specific language
      :InstallSyntax ALL " having fast internet ...

      To me, the difference between 1-step installation vs N-step
      installation is HUGE. Multiply number of steps N by M, the number
      of machines, then by K, the number of OS resinstalls on every machine,
      then by L, the number of non-root users ...

      Lerner
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic