33449Re: wish: semi-automatic inst of syntax files from central location (www.vim.org) ?

  • Yakov Lerner
    Aug 7, 2003
      David Brown wrote:
      > I would suspect something else is wrong. Is syntax highlighting enabled
      > for other file types?

      Now that I try it on the same machine (RedHat 8, vim 6.1.165),
      syntax highlighting does work by default for .spec files.
      I don't know what's different now vs then.
      Maybe $TERM was set differently back then. I did vim not gvim.
      I definitely remember that I tried 'syntax on'/'syntax off' back
      then when we viewed same file in xemacs and in vim.
      Date of .exrc and .vimrc is very old. I don't know.

      I still wish for single-command-installation 'InstallSyntax' command.
      There are lots of computers around, and many have outdated sh.vim syntax-files.

      Lerner

      David Brown wrote:
      > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
      >

      >>Recently, I needed to edit the rpm spec file. The person who edited
      >

      >>I realize there are dozens of rarely used languages and it's hassle
      >>to keep myriad of syntax files updated in the distribution. And complex
      >>syntax files are probably updated quote often.
      >

      > Hmm. spec.vim has been around for quite a while in vim. It also hasn't
      > changed in the distribution much (6.2c and then not since 6.00a.
      >

      >>What do you fellow vimers think ?
      >

      > I would suspect something else is wrong. Is syntax highlighting enabled
      > for other file types?
      >
      > Dave Brown

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic