32983Re: changelog.vim spacing errors highlighting

    Jun 1, 2003
      Corinna Vinschen wrote:

      > On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:33:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Thanks. I'll include the change. Unfortunately, I have not heard back
      > > from Corinna on my remarks. Hopefully that means she doesn't object...
      >
      > [Sorry for responding that slow. I was somewhat distracted by RL.]
      >
      > I did already object, IIRC.
      >
      > As I said, I have no problems to let a change in to allow to switch off
      > showing missing TABs as errors but I don't see what it's good for to
      > switch it off by default. Showing the TABs is a very helpful functionality
      > in GNU projects since even if it's not mentioned in the syntax description
      > on gnu.org, it's common sense in important projects (just to name a few:
      > gawk, gcc, gdb, make, sed) to use TAB as start of entries. All these
      > projects also contain ChangeLog entries with leading spaces but these are
      > included by mistake, a mistake which could have been avoided...
      >
      > The problem with having it switched off by default is that nobody will
      > ever see that a nice functionality, showing that the ChangeLog is incorrect
      > in its invisible parts, exists at all. OTOH, those who are annoyed by
      > showing the error in the ChangeLog will try to find a way to switch it
      > off and woops, there it is, so what's the problem.
      >
      > Be it as it is, it's your final decision, Bram.

      I can understand that you want to flag wrong whitespace, but I also
      understand the point that thise is not really an error. Again, I have
      to refer to highlighting wrong white space in C sources. This is also
      off by default, although I strongly believe that no C source should
      have a space before a tab or trailing white space.

      Let's try to find a compromise: flag the wrong white space but not as an
      error. We don't have a warning highlight group though. You could
      perhaps use the Folded or DiffAdd highlighting (most others only have a
      foreground color, which won't work for white space).

      Where can I find a good example of a file to see what the resulting
      highlighting looks like?

      --
      Portable Computer: A device invented to force businessmen
      to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips.