32981Re: changelog.vim spacing errors highlighting

  • David Necas (Yeti)
    Jun 1, 2003
      On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 11:01:08AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
      > On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:33:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Thanks. I'll include the change. Unfortunately, I have not heard back
      > > from Corinna on my remarks. Hopefully that means she doesn't object...
      >
      > The problem with having it switched off by default is that nobody will
      > ever see that a nice functionality, showing that the ChangeLog is incorrect
      > in its invisible parts, exists at all. OTOH, those who are annoyed by
      > showing the error in the ChangeLog will try to find a way to switch it
      > off and woops, there it is, so what's the problem.

      I'm not Bram ;-) but I'll add a one note anyway.

      I understand your motivation. But I'm afraid you
      overestimate the capabilities of average Vim users. True,
      most of them probably would find some way how to get rid of
      the Errors -- by asking someone else what to do with them.
      Believe me, I know a few of them :-) Moreover, ChangeLogs
      (of any kind, GNU or not) are much more often read than
      written, but the original default behaviour helps only GNU
      writes i.e., people who actually change the space into a tab
      when they see one and commit this change.

      Thus the decision is between two evils: some people won't
      exploit all the possibilities it offers because they won't
      know about them and, some people will be quite annoyed by
      the default behaviour. IMO the first one is the smaller
      one.

      Yeti
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic