32291Re: Output/Input is not to/from a terminal

    Apr 30, 2003
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > :help todo contains
      > 7 Allow using Vim in a pipe: "ls | vim -u xxx.vim - | yyy". Only needs
      > implementing ":w" to stdout in the buffer that was read from stdin.
      >
      > I did a quick and dirty proof of concept on this. It worked once in
      > w2ksp3 with a vimd built with Make_ivc.mak. It does not work with gvimd
      > because stdout is unsupported by windoze programs.
      > The command which worked was
      > C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62a\src> echo hello| vimd "+set ff=unix" +x - > t.x

      It's a nice hack, but it's not nearly enough. You also need to take
      care of temp files, these still need to be written to a real file. And
      things like the gzip plugin. This requires thinking of how to tell Vim
      it should write to stdout instead of a file.

      There are more important things to work on before adding another
      half-done feature...

      --
      Support your right to bare arms! Wear short sleeves!