31867Re: Patch 6.1.424 (extra)

    Apr 1, 2003
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > In message <200303311808.h2VI8fP08776@...> of Mon, 31 Mar 2003
      > 20:08:41 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
      > >
      > >Patch 6.1.424 (extra)
      > >Problem: Win32: Gvim compiled with VC++ 7.0 run on Windows 95 does not show
      > > menu items.
      > >Solution: Define $WINVER to avoid an extra item is added to MENUITEMINFO.
      > > (Muraoka Taro)
      > >Files: src/Make_mvc.mak
      > When this change was proposed, I asked if a corresponding change should
      > be made to Make_ivc.mak; I got no response. I seem to recall that we
      > were not told why the change worked. I suppose I should wait for
      > somebody to complain about such a problem. I shall probably run VC 7.x
      > on my next machine when I buy it. Hopefully, nobody else will use such a
      > perverse combination of environment choices.

      I hesitated to include this change, since I also don't quite understand
      how it works. The Make_bc5.mak makefile contains the same construction,
      that's probably a hint that it does work and not cause trouble.

      To try out this change requires VC 7.0, which I don't have. For
      Make_ivc.mak you have to find out what is the best place to add it. And
      to test it you need to compile Vim with VC 7.0 (probably on Win XP) and
      test it on Win 95. Only for people who have a whole row of computers!
      :-)

      --
      FIRST HEAD: Oh! quick! get the sword out I want to cut his head off.
      THIRD HEAD: Oh, cut your own head off.