31341Re: keymodel=stopsel vs. Visual mode

    Mar 1, 2003
      Daniel Elstner wrote:

      > I'd like to be able use both Windows-style select mode and traditional
      > Visual mode. Thus I thought
      >
      > :set selectmode=key,mouse keymodel=startsel,stopsel
      >
      > is exactly what I want and I can still use v/V/CTRL-v to start
      > traditional Visual mode. Unfortunately it's hardly usable for me since
      > the cursor keys stop selection even if not in Select mode.
      >
      > The attached patch makes un-shifted movement keys only stop selection if
      > the current mode matches the one used for "startsel". Would this be an
      > accepted behaviour change, or is adding a "stopsel_select" flag to
      > 'keymodel' preferred (provided the idea is accepted at all)?

      It looks like, after this patch, it is not possible to have the old
      behavior of a cursor key stopping both Visual and Select mode.

      It's actually a bit difficult to understand how it works. That alone is
      a reason not to do it this way.

      --
      "Software is like sex... it's better when it's free."
      -- Linus Torvalds, initiator of the free Linux OS