30617Re: SEGV related to vimrc

  • Lasse Kliemann
    Dec 30, 2002
      * Bram Moolenaar writes:

      > Lasse Kliemann wrote:
      >
      > > * David Mankin writes:
      > >
      > > [ crashes with comments in C ]
      > >
      > > > Bram is on vacation, but having watched the list for a little while
      > > > I can say this: most vim crashes result from compiling vim with gcc
      > > > 3.x with the -O2 optimization. If you're using gcc 3.x,
      > >
      > > I do use 3.2.1, indeed.
      > >
      > > > try changing the optimization to -O instead, recompile vim, and see
      > > > if that fixes the problem.
      > >
      > > Yes, it does! Thank you very much. Sorry for posting this to -dev. I
      > > was sure of having found a bug in vim.
      >
      > For gcc 3.2 we add the argument -fno-strength-reduce. Could you try
      > adding that argument instead of reducing -O2 to -O?

      I compiled vim-6.1.263 with

      CFLAGS="-fno-strength-reduce -O2"

      and it works fine.

      > Also try running configure with patch 6.1.260 included. It checks for
      > versions 3.1 and 3.2. Perhaps we need to add 3.2.1 to the list of
      > version numbers now?

      I've been using all patches up to 6.1.263 included. Not setting CFLAGS at all
      or using »CFLAGS=-O2« leads to the desribed crashes.

      Also 6.1 produced these crashes when I didn't set CFLAGS and so went with the
      default.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic