30505Re: SEGV related to vimrc

  • David Mankin
    Nov 25, 2002
      On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 04:19 AM, Lasse Kliemann wrote:

      > Attached is the file l2.c. With this file (and with reformatting C
      > comments in
      > many other situations too) I experienced segmentation faults. Let's
      > have a
      > look at this. First, I use no configuration file, that means no global
      > vimrc
      > and no ~/.vimrc. Everything works fine, I can load l2.c and type gqap
      > format it. Now, I do
      > touch ~/.vimrc
      > When I open l2.c now and type gqap, I get
      > Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
      > Vim: Finished.
      > Segmentation fault
      > immediately. But when I open the file with

      Bram is on vacation, but having watched the list for a little while I
      can say this: most vim crashes result from compiling vim with gcc 3.x
      with the -O2 optimization. If you're using gcc 3.x, try changing the
      optimization to -O instead, recompile vim, and see if that fixes the
      problem. If not, then you should use gdb on the core file to get the
      backtrace to show exactly where vim is crashing.

      Hope that helps,
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic