30221Re: [vimdev] configure and Makefile

  • Benji Fisher
    Nov 2, 2002
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      > > How about a make/environment variable: say, VIMCONFIG. Then the <Makefile>
      > > would have
      > >
      > > configure ${VIMCONFIG}
      > >
      > > which will normally expand to nothing, but if set will allow
      > > user-specified options to the configure.
      > >
      > > export VIMCONFIG="--with-features=huge"
      > > make
      > Hmm, then you would need to set VIMCONFIG in your ~/.shrc file, which is
      > not really related to building Vim. Typing it doesn't make sense, you
      > might as well run configure right away then.

      You could put the Chip's two lines in a shell script.

      I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
      some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
      via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
      to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
      enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
      Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
      it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
      recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
      to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic