29981Re: What a to-do!

    Oct 3, 2002
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > I quote from the vim 6.1.1-100 todo.txt:
      > > Win32 console:
      > > 9 When editing a file by its short file name, it should be expanded into its
      > > long file name, to avoid problems like these: (Mccollister)
      > > 1) Create a file called ".bashrc" using some other editor.
      > > 2) Drag that file onto a shortcut or the actual executable.
      > > 3) Note that the file name is something like BASHRC~1
      > > 4) Go to File->Save As menu item and type ".bashrc" as the file name.
      > > 5) Press "Yes" to indicate that I want to overwrite the file.
      > > 6) Note that the message "File exists (use ! to override)" is displayed
      > > and the file is not saved.
      > > Use FindFirstFile() to expand a file name and directory in the path to its
      > > long name.
      >
      > I built a console vim with Make_ivc.mak.
      > I tried vim -u NONE -U NONE shrtname. vim started as if I had done
      > vim -u NONE -U NONE "long file name". This happened in both WME and W95.
      > I shall try the precise problem reported on W95.
      > 1) done (echo hello > .bashrc)
      > 2) Dragged
      > 3) File name is .bashrc rather than BASHRC~1 or similar
      > 4) No file menu. I think this MIGHT refer to gvim

      I suppose this is actually for gvim.

      > 3a) File name is C:\TEMP\BASHRC~1
      > 4a) File-Save default name is .bashrc. No override needed.
      >
      > Is there any problem?

      Either it depends on the version of MS-Windows or it was already fixed.
      In win98 I do get a message about editing BASHRC~1, but the buffer name
      is .bashrc. That means the conversion to a long filename was already
      done.

      > > 8 ":winpos" doesn't work. Patch from Vipin Aravind.
      > It works for me in gvim. It does not work in vim. Why should it do so?
      > It is documented as:
      > > :winp[os]
      > > Display current position of the top left corner of the GUI vim
      > > window in pixels. Does not work in all versions.

      It also works for an xterm. If there is a way to make it work in a
      console window, why not do it?

      > I shall look at:
      > > 9 When using libcall() for a function that returns an invalid pointer, Vim
      > > crashes. Check for a bad pointer with isBadReadPtr() doesn't appear to
      > > work well.
      > Steve Oualline's book does not mention libcall. I see it is mentioned in
      > version5.txt as a contribution from Negri. Perhaps Vince can get me up
      > to speed with a demonstration of the feature. It must be useful as it
      > was originally implemented only in Win32 and is now also done in UNIX.

      It would be good if you can fix this. I did an attempt once, but
      couldn't find a way to avoid a crash. Best is if any use of libcall()
      detects that a pointer is not valid and gives an error message instead
      of crashing.

      --
      Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
      -- Bill Gates, 1983