29978What a to-do!

  • Walter Briscoe
    Oct 3, 2002
      I quote from the vim 6.1.1-100 todo.txt:
      > Win32 console:
      > 9 When editing a file by its short file name, it should be expanded into its
      > long file name, to avoid problems like these: (Mccollister)
      > 1) Create a file called ".bashrc" using some other editor.
      > 2) Drag that file onto a shortcut or the actual executable.
      > 3) Note that the file name is something like BASHRC~1
      > 4) Go to File->Save As menu item and type ".bashrc" as the file name.
      > 5) Press "Yes" to indicate that I want to overwrite the file.
      > 6) Note that the message "File exists (use ! to override)" is displayed
      > and the file is not saved.
      > Use FindFirstFile() to expand a file name and directory in the path to its
      > long name.

      I built a console vim with Make_ivc.mak.
      I tried vim -u NONE -U NONE shrtname. vim started as if I had done
      vim -u NONE -U NONE "long file name". This happened in both WME and W95.
      I shall try the precise problem reported on W95.
      1) done (echo hello > .bashrc)
      2) Dragged
      3) File name is .bashrc rather than BASHRC~1 or similar
      4) No file menu. I think this MIGHT refer to gvim
      3a) File name is C:\TEMP\BASHRC~1
      4a) File-Save default name is .bashrc. No override needed.

      Is there any problem?

      > 8 ":winpos" doesn't work. Patch from Vipin Aravind.
      It works for me in gvim. It does not work in vim. Why should it do so?
      It is documented as:
      > :winp[os]
      > Display current position of the top left corner of the GUI vim
      > window in pixels. Does not work in all versions.

      I shall look at:
      > 9 When using libcall() for a function that returns an invalid pointer, Vim
      > crashes. Check for a bad pointer with isBadReadPtr() doesn't appear to
      > work well.
      Steve Oualline's book does not mention libcall. I see it is mentioned in
      version5.txt as a contribution from Negri. Perhaps Vince can get me up
      to speed with a demonstration of the feature. It must be useful as it
      was originally implemented only in Win32 and is now also done in UNIX.
      --
      Walter Briscoe
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic