29950RE: Win32 Short filenames - comments?

  • Vince Negri
    Oct 1, 2002
      > To stuff that ALL up, though, there is an API call that allows you to
      > set the short name of a file *sigh*.

      Only on NTFS drives, thank heavens.

      I agree that this is a useful patch (though it would
      be possible to get the functionality without patching
      Vim by writing a small DLL and using libcall()), since
      there are plenty of old command-line utilities
      knocking around which need 8.3 filenames. I also
      agree that :X is a bit odd - it makes me think on
      encryption... can we have ":~" instead - the mnemonic
      is obvious to anyone who will need the function ;)

      Vince