29949Re: Win32 Short filenames - comments?

    Oct 1, 2002
      Michael Geddes wrote:

      > A call to win32 vimmers!
      >
      > I _have created_ a patch that adds a modifier which is currently :X
      > (from dir /x) that modifies
      > the filename to be the windows short file name.
      >
      > ie : expand('%:X')
      >
      > Would return the full short filename of the current file.
      > expand('%:X:.') also works (as does :~).

      Since this is just a small change and can be very useful for people who
      need this, I'm not against including this feature.

      Two questions:
      - Why ":X"? Isn't there a more obvious name to get the short filename?
      - Does this only shorten the last part of the path or also the directory
      names before it?

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      (X0||) Double hamburger with lettuce and tomato