29409Re: % matching for Python

  • David Brown
    Aug 6, 2002
      On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 07:51:41AM -0500, Alejandro L?pez-Valencia wrote:

      > What I can say from personal experience is that I've had no joy trying to
      > fix other people's code that had exotic indention patterns such as yours.
      > Even after running pyindent.py and tabindent.py on those 2000+ LOC files,
      > fixing them to not only compile but also work as expected wasn't fun at all.
      > My point is that python has syntactical and orthographical regularity.
      > Unlike C and C++, where indention is a matter of spiritual persuasion and
      > the appearance of jihads and holy crusades among the different opinions are
      > a fact of life (children!), there are clear rules for python and those
      > should be the default. This way, newbies get the expected style
      > transparently and those who already have a mental perversion about the
      > matter, well..., we can fix it to our liking.

      That's why the PEP8 specifies to use spaces instead of tabs. However,
      Python was designed to accept tabs as equivalent to spaces, but _ALWAYS_
      with a tabstop set to 8. It is the setting of the tabstop to a value of
      other than 8 (common for non *nix editors) that can bite. Even with the
      tabstop set wrong, often you get lucky and things just work, especially
      if indenting is only done with tabs.

      My main reaction was to the suggestion to set the tabstop to 4 for
      python code. This is going to bite someone someday. The default for
      python, according to PEP8 should be

      If you expect less to be able to share files with users of inconsistent

      will work fine, it fits exactly what python wants. However, it may make
      the code look weird if someone has a non-standard tabstop setting.

      tabstop should never be set to anything other than 8 when working on
      Python code. The Python lexer expands tabs to 8 spaces, so if you do
      differently, there will be a mismatch between what python sees and what
      is visible on the screen.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic