29400Re: % matching for Python

  • Alejandro López-Valencia
    Aug 5, 2002
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > I think Python always uses a tabstop of eight, nobody should edit a
      > Python file with a tabstop unequal 8 anyway. indent() matches with
      > what you see on the screen, thus it should work well.

      Actually a tabstop of four. The style guide (PEP 8, check
      http://www.python.org/doc/pep/ if I remember the address correctly)
      declares: Use an indent of four and never mix tabs and spaces in the same
      file. That is, the default python indention plugin should set
      tabstop=shiftwidth=4 and expandtab as the default; trying to use tabs
      usually leads to madness and weird runtime errors because the bytecode
      compiler ends up guessing things that aren't.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic