27608Re: Win32 ACLs unreliable.

  • Mike Williams
    Mar 4, 2002
      I don't know for sure, but my guess would be you cannot redistribute.

      A couple of years ago there was a major bug in one of the standard dialog dlls (I
      forget which one). A number of software companies wanted to redistribute it with
      their application but MS would only allow them to do this as part of an IE distribution
      (IIRC) Anyway, it was something like a 5MB distribution for a 300KB dll.

      On 4 Mar 2002 at 16:21, vipin aravind wrote:

      > another way would be to ship advapi32.dll(proper one SP5)
      > renamed to someother dll with vim.
      > Is that redistributable?
      > and then getproc and use as it is done now.
      > vipin
      >
      > > > Bram Moolenaar [SMTP:Bram@...] wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It indeed appears that going back to the old solution would be better.
      > > > One last attempt to do at least some ACL things: Can we add a check that
      > > > returns three possible values:
      > > > ACL check returns "file is writable"
      > > > ACL check returns "file is r/o"
      > > > ACL is unreliable, ignore it.
      > >
      > > > And then use the third option whenever we have some doubt that ACL is
      > > > actually working. When that's always the case, it should be very simple
      > > > to implement! :-)
      > >
      > > On NT4 Sp4, GetEffectiveRightsFromAcl() returns bilge, so the answer on
      > > this platform would always be number 3!
      > >
      > > I think that until someone hand-rolls a VimGetEffectiveRightsFromAcl()
      > > which actually works, Win32 ACL-checking should be compiled out for 6.1
      > > final.
      > >
      > > Vince

      Mike
      --
      Experience is a good teacher but her fees are high...
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic