27606Re: Win32 ACLs unreliable.

  • Mike Williams
    Mar 4 2:32 AM
      On 4 Mar 2002 at 11:17, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > It indeed appears that going back to the old solution would be better.
      > One last attempt to do at least some ACL things: Can we add a check that
      > returns three possible values:
      > ACL check returns "file is writable"
      > ACL check returns "file is r/o"
      > ACL is unreliable, ignore it.
      >
      > And then use the third option whenever we have some doubt that ACL is
      > actually working. When that's always the case, it should be very simple
      > to implement! :-)

      Oh it is easy - just return the 3rd value all the time. :-) The ACL works fine, the
      Win32 function that builds the access mask from the ACL is unreliable, buggy,
      kapput! The problem depends on the host OS and service pack, the networked
      machine's OS and service pack, the contents of the ACL, and how the host OS joined
      the network that the network machine is part of (and possibly other factors which MS
      have not owned up to yet!)

      The only solution is to roll our own version of GetEffectiveRightsFromAcl(), which is
      most likely easier than resolving the above conditions to see if we should bother
      checking the ACL in the first place :-(

      Well, I'll try the open for write hack and see what happens.

      Mike
      --
      Belladonna: In Italian, a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic