24261Re: Multiple use of comma (,) or semicolon (;) after tT

  • Thomas Köhler
    Sep 2, 2001
      On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:04:37PM -0400,
      David Kotchan <dkotchan@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > After using t to search for a character, using comma (,) multiple times to
      > search in the opposite direction does not do what you expect. After an
      > initial backwards search, it doesn't do anything, in fact. To make it
      > continue searching, you must use a count, eg. 2,
      >
      > Similarly: after using T to search for a character, using semicolon (;)
      > multiple times to search in the opposite direction doesn't do anything
      > after the initial forwards search. To make it do something, you must use a
      > count, eg. 2;
      >
      > I have a tiny 2-line patch to fix this behaviour, but at earlier the patch
      > was rejected because the current behaviour was compatible with how Vi does
      > it. I accept the argument, but now lately I read the following in the
      > "motion.txt" documentation:
      >
      > "The original Vi implementation of "e" is buggy. For example, the "e"
      > command will stop on the first character of a line if the previous line was
      > empty. But when you use "2e" this does not happen. In Vim "ee" and "2e"
      > are the same, which is more logical. However, this causes a small
      > incompatibility
      > between Vi and Vim."
      >
      > I submit the same argument applies here to comma (,) and semicolon
      > (;). Namely, ",," and "2," should be the same, and ";;" and "2;" should be
      > the same -- which is more logical ;-) But yes, it will cause a small
      > incompatibility between Vi and Vim, same as for "ee" and "2e".
      >
      > I do not want to press this point, it does not matter to me personally -- I
      > patch all my Vims to make ",," the same as "2," so I myself am always
      > happy. But I actually use , and ; quite a bit so I thought others might
      > too, and that they might benefit from this proposal.
      >
      > I shall drop the matter for good if no one agrees with me.

      I'd vote for YAO :-)
      In fact, that 'ee' thing as well as that ';'-and-','-thing should be
      vi-compatible when 'cp' is set, but work in that "more logical" way
      when in 'nocp'-mode...

      Ciao,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real