22220Re: Vim version 6.0am ALPHA available

  • Thomas Köhler
    Jul 2, 2001
      On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 05:17:35AM -0400,
      Matt Dunford <zoot@...> wrote:

      > * Zdenek Sekera <zs@...> [010702 04:51]:

      > > > I always thought that CVS provides convenient means to keep remotes up
      > > > to date.
      > >
      > > It surely does, for some. For those unfortunate ones that are behind
      > > the firewall, it's often inaccessible due to admin restrictions.
      > > E.g. I can't use it (and many others).
      > > So much for your (a bit, IMHO) provocative statement.
      > >
      > > I think a day or two of delay with updating should not be a problem,
      > > huh??
      >
      > You can't access CVS because you're behind a firewall? Perhaps look
      > into httptunnel if you want to, uhm, get around any restrictions. ;-)
      >
      > http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html
      >
      > I've never used it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

      Good thing: Can tunnel almost everything.
      Bad thing: Needs another machine in the outside world with full access
      to the internet. Many people (especially those who can't access vim's
      CVS because they are behind a firewall) will be out of luck because of
      this.

      Ciao,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real