22214RE: mouse wheel win32 and gui.c

    Jul 2, 2001
      Anduin Withers wrote:

      > > I would be surprised if the mouse wheel works at all without scrollbars
      > > present. Perhaps it does for the "real" Microsoft mouse? It certainly
      > > doesn't for mine (Ami mouse).
      >
      > It does. NT4+ and 98+ send WM_MOUSEWHEEL to the focused window when the
      > mouse wheel is changed. Vim processes this in gui_w32.c.

      Yes, that message is only used for the MS mouse, as far as I know.

      > On 2K I can get the mouse wheel to work without scrollbars by removing the
      > two lines in gui.c mentioned in my last message.

      OK. I'll add a #ifdef around them, so that the lines are only used for other
      systems.

      > Oh and yes it is a genuine MS optical mouse but I don't think that matters
      > anymore (could be wrong never played with mouse wheel messages and support
      > before).

      It does matter. Many programs don't support the mousewheel messages. It's
      one of those MS things to encourage you to buy the latest version (and give
      your $$$ to MS). I never had problems with non-MS mice, while the MS mouse
      has the focus bug problem.

      > > I think most mouse scroll wheels detect the scrollbar window and send
      > > events to it to make the scrolling happen. It just won't work without the
      > > scrollbars.
      >
      > I believe the initial wave of mouse wheel mice worked as you suggest but now
      > there is actual support in the underlying OS with a real message.

      The OS has supported it for a long time already. The problem is that many
      applications don't handle the message. Not everybody uses the latest version.

      56. You leave the modem speaker on after connecting because you think it
      sounds like the ocean wind...the perfect soundtrack for "surfing the net".