22166Re: vim 6.0* Win32 "Edit with vim popup" installation FAILS [Another Patch]

  • Jonathon Merz
    Jun 29, 2001
      Jonathon Merz wrote:

      > Unfortunately, this still does not work on WinNT :( I've narrowed the
      > problem a bit, but I have no idea about a workaround unless there is a
      > way to find the OS version. The trouble is that DJGPP for some reason
      > resolves COMSPEC wrong. With the following code:
      >
      > main()
      > {
      > char *comspec_value = getenv("COMSPEC");
      > printf("%s\n\n", comspec_value);
      > }

      It turns out this is because WinNT recognizes a program compiled by DJGPP as a
      DOS program and changes COMSPEC to command.com in that program's environment.
      The workaround I am using for this is to search the path for cmd.exe, and if
      it is found, use it explicitly, otherwise, just make the regular call for
      start /w. Non-DJGPP compiles are still writing directly to the registry since
      that is a little cleaner at this point. I've attached a patch for that below,
      based off the vim60al source.

      Bram - In the interest of making dosinst.c easier to work with, Walter and I
      were discussing the possibility of breaking it up into a number of files based
      on function and giving it it's own directory somewhere in the Vim source tree.
      It seems to be getting rather large with what we are adding to it, and due
      to the number of very different things it does, it is starting to seem
      disorganized, and breaking it into more specific pieces seems like a better
      way to do things. Would something like that be acceptible? If so, we will
      wait until it gets to a temporarily static state to make that change before we
      start anything new.

      -Jon
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic