19472Re: toggling keymap in normal mode

    Apr 3, 2001
      Alexey Marinichev wrote:

      > How do I toggle keyboard map set by 'keymap' option from the normal
      > mode? There isn't anything simpler than :normal a <Ctrl-^> <Esc> <CR>,
      > is there?

      No, since the mappings only take effect in Insert mode, it's logical that you
      can only enable/disable them from Insert mode. Well, except when you want to
      use "r".

      > Related issue: if I set 'keymap' option, keyboard gets remapped. It
      > would be nice to be able to set the option and leave the keyboard in its
      > unmapped state, to have Ctrl-^ switch the mappings.

      Pff, yet another option?

      Why do you first tell Vim to map keys for your language and then say "but I
      don't want to use them"? Perhaps you should postpone loading them until you
      really want to use them.

      I learned the customs and mannerisms of engineers by observing them, much the
      way Jane Goodall learned about the great apes, but without the hassle of
      (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)