18141Re: X11 GUI i18n

    Feb 13, 2001
      Andrew Rodionoff wrote:

      > >> 1) Vim uses X input method only in multibyte character locale. This is
      > >> not good, because there are many systems where character is one byte
      > >> long, but input events are multibyte. Such locales considered `broken'
      > >> by configure script, but that's not true (see attached patch1). BTW,
      > >> 'guifontset' option is not strictly nessessary in this case.
      >
      > BM> This has already changed considerably. Please have a look into how Vim
      > BM> 6.0u does this. Perhaps suggest a change relative to that.
      > I'll look into it as soon as I'll grab the next version. As far as I can
      > tell now XIM is fully usable without any mbyte or fontset stuff at all. I use
      > slightly patched version of 5.7 with fontset and multibyte disabled and have
      > no trouble editing 8bit text.

      As far as I can see will Vim 6.0 use the XIM also when not using the
      multi-byte feature. But you better check if it really works.

      > BM> Most of the XIM stuff has been made by Asians. I'm sure that some work
      > BM> needs to be done for Russian, Polish, etc. It's very difficult for
      > BM> someone to work on code that he will never use himself.
      >
      > >> 2) Vim tries some fallbacks when opening IM server, except the one with
      > >> input method set to 'none': (see patch2)
      >
      > BM> What does this do?
      > This is primarily for poor fellows who have no input method server for
      > their language, but who'd like to benefit from using IM. I have a msg from
      > Sung-Hyun-Nam who suggests using Xdefaults for this. He is quite right, but I
      > think this fallback is reasonable and helps to run XIM out-of-the-box.

      I don't like using Xdefaults myself, they are too complicated for "normal"
      users.

      What I don't understand is what a XIM will do when there is "none"? Isn't
      that the same as not using XIM?

      --
      A vacation is a period of travel during which you find that you
      took twice as many clothes and half as much money as you needed.