14892Re: Request for a fold option...

    Aug 4, 2000
      Tim wrote:

      > In the docs, it says:
      >
      > When moving the cursor downwards, it will move to the first line of a
      > sequence
      > of folded lines. When the cursor is already on a folded line, it
      > moves to the
      > next unfolded line.
      >
      > When moving the cursor upwards, it will
      > move to the last line of a seqyence of
      > folded lines. When the cursor is
      > already on a folded line, it moves to the
      > previous unfolded line.
      >
      > I was wondering whether we could make this an option.

      Yet Another Option? I prefer to keep the number of options low. The default
      behavior should be good enough for most people. Especially options that
      change how a command work can be a problem (e.g., when writing a mapping).

      > I think its counter-intuitive that depending on how you arrived at a fold,
      > the text that is shown when you go to insert mode or open the fold is
      > different.

      It could be changed to always put the cursor on the first line. Do others
      agree that this is the best solution?

      > Actually, is it possible (not sure for going to insert mode yet) to have
      > commands that open the fold and place the cursor at the top, bottom, (and
      > maybe the middle)? So, for example, zo opens the fold and places the cursor
      > on the first line, and, say, zl opens the fold and places the cursor on the
      > last line.

      I don't like to make all kinds of combinations of commands. We quickly run
      out of command names. And the number of commands doubles or triples. I think
      it's better to have separate commands to move to the top, middle (?) and
      bottom of a fold.

      106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
      can't...because you were kicked out and banned.