13693RE: completion of environment variables -> :shell

    Apr 10, 2000
      Mike Steed wrote:

      > To clarify, are we talking about command-line support for
      > (a) completing environment variable names, or
      > (b) expanding environment variable names to their values?
      > I was thinking of (a). Vim already does (b), plus some special-case code
      > for $HOME, $VIM, and $VIMRUNTIME. I ask because it looks like the example
      > above illustrates (b).
      > Is (a) worth the extra code?

      I thought we were talking about (a). Mostly the command that you execute will
      expand the variable to its value.

      Engineers understand that their appearance only bothers other people and
      therefore it is not worth optimizing.
      (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)