13688Re: New Makefile for bcc 5.5

  • maurice s. barnum
    Apr 2, 2000
      "Ron Aaron" <ron@...> writes:

      : Before you turn off the feature, benchmark the behaviour with and without it.
      : I saw a 15-30% speed improvement with the feature on, as well as a size
      : reduction in the executable. The benefit will be different depending on the
      : processor class etc, but do be sure to test on 486, Pentium and newer
      : processors -- and realize that *many* people use older CPUs.
      :
      : >the performance
      : >advantage of the register calling convention will only come into play
      : >with rather small functions: otherwise, the parameter will likely get
      : >pushed onto the stack to free up the register in which it's sitting.
      :
      : Have you *benchmarked* this to verify what you are saying? My experience is
      : different than what you indicate, but admittedly the source is fairly
      : different than the version I put 'fastcall' in.
      :

      well, numbers beats conjecture, that's for sure. i don't have a 486
      available, but i'll test on some slower machines and ask for help when
      i have the patch ready. out of curiosity, what did you use to make
      the measurements, and was this for win32 or dos?

      --xmsb
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic