Visit to Kibaale

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 1998
      Hello Vimmers,

      The previous two weeks I have made a visit to Kibaale Children's Centre (KCC).
      Since KCC is sponsored by donations from Vim users, and because I have
      promised some of you to report about my experiences, here is an overview of my
      trip.

      For background information on KCC, see ":help kcc" in Vim, or check out
      www.vim.org/iccf.

      The last time I visited Kibaale was about two years ago. Since then quite a
      few things have changed. A few buildings have been added: A block of
      classrooms for the primary school (including a library), housing for teachers
      and workers. The main changes are however with the people working there.
      More of the work is being done by Ugandans. The school is now largely run by
      local people, including the headmaster. This is another step in the direction
      of having the centre run without depending on outside help.

      A small clinic has been started to improve the medical care. A nurse from
      England, Ceri, helps doing this. She is still looking for a local nurse to
      help her and to be trained by her. There are plans to vaccinate all the
      children in the near future. The cooperation with the new hospital in Rakai
      (about 15 kilometers from Kibaale) is improving. We will try to support the
      clinic financially. There is still some startup cost (e.g. for a gas fridge
      to store the vaccins). And money is needed monthly for the materials that are
      used. The local people are asked to pay a small amount for treatment, but
      this does not cover the real costs. I hope we can find sponsors for this.

      On Saturday I went with Stephen to visit three of our sponsored children.
      Stephen works on the project to keep an eye at the children and make sure that
      they get the help that they need. I visited the children at home, so that I
      could see where they live and talk to the family. All three of these children
      are in an extended family, since they lost their parents. The small houses
      that they live in are OK, although one of them had broken plastering and the
      roof was leaking in another. They don't have the money to fix this. Stephen
      will look into the possibility to help them (this is a matter of budget and
      priority, we can only help the most needy).

      One of the children I visited was Geoffry Kyoma, which I sponsor myself. I
      brought him a few presents, which made him very happy. But he didn't really
      smile. After asking a few questions it became clear that he was ill, probably
      from malaria. Fortunately he recovered the next week and was able to attend
      school again. I had brought colorful balloons for the other five children in
      the family (there is no toyshop in Uganda!). The oldest brother provides the
      family with food by working on the piece of land they have. And then he has
      to go to school too! The guardian of the children is an old grandmother, who
      has problems with her eyes and can't work on the land. It is clear that
      Geoffry really needs my help.

      I was happy to see that Uganda has improved the last two years. Many roads
      have been repaired. The dirt road to Rakai, which has always been covered
      with potholes, has been tarmaced (thanks to Danida, the Danish development
      organisation). The people in the street seem to be wearing better clothes.
      There is now a bus driving daily to Kampala (the capital of Uganda) and back.
      This means that there are more people that can afford to pay for the trip,
      which is a good sign.

      Overall I was very happy to see the improvements. Of course there is still a
      long way to go. AIDS doesn't just go away and there are still an awful lot of
      orphans in poor families. But it makes me feel good to see that our help
      there really helps the people. And this stimulates me to continue supporting
      KCC.

      If you would like to help the orphans in Kibaale, please see ":help kcc" in
      Vim, or see www.vim.org/iccf/sponsor.html and www.vim.org/iccf/donate.html.
      If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

      181. You make up words that go with the "happy tune" your modem makes
      while dialing your ISP.

      \ \ www.vim.org/iccf www.oce.com www.vim.org / /