Plans for Vim 7.4

    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 8:51 PM
      Hello Vim users,

      We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
      don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
      Vim 7.4!

      The top five of the voting list:
      http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

      1. add IDE features
      2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
      3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
      4. improve syntax highlighting speed
      5. add collaborative editing

      I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:

      1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created. This improves the
      Vim API from the Python interface.
      2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
      for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
      regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
      3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.

      Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
      pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
      everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
      of May.

      I don't have a date set for the release. I'll include the mentioned
      changes and then we need some time for testing until it looks stable.
      And hopefully we don't go past 999 before that...

      --
      E M A C S
      s e l o h

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.
      ---
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21 4:05 AM
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > I know it's late to vote, but some sort of sane 'gdb' integration would
        > be supremely useful. I haven't found any packages for this that don't
        > involve a lot of setup.

        There are several implementations, including my own "Agide".
        Pick one that is the best and improve it...
        Most likely it won't require more than a few changes inside Vim itself.

        --
        Corn oil comes from corn and olive oil comes from olives, so where
        does baby oil come from?