Vim charity: Drought continues

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2006
      Greetings, Vim users.

      If you don't care about helping needy children in Uganda, which is Vim's
      charity, then skip this message.

      As mentioned before, the area of Kibaale has been suffering from a
      drought for several months now. Here is an update from Jackie Ammeter
      that I received today:

      The famine and drought continue to worsen. Yes, we have been getting a
      bit of rain, but a shower once a week is far from adequate. We should be
      getting 2 or 3 hours of rain every other day for two months straight in
      order to bring everything back to life. People are actually beginning to
      die of hunger.

      Everyday we are having hungry and needy people coming for help. I can't
      really describe the difficulty of the situation. On Monday, about 20
      people came to the community development office pleading for help.
      Justine came and told me about the most heart-wrenching case of the day:
      a 10 year old girl came asking for food for herself and for her siblings
      aged 8, 6, and 4 whom she was looking after. Their parents had died and
      they were living with a grandmother who was currently in the hospital.
      They hadn't eaten in 3 or 4 days. Justine said the girl was just
      shaking.

      We also had a grandfather who was caring for a baby grandchild. He had
      no milk to give the baby. We gave him 6,000 (about $4) to buy milk for
      one month. The needs are endless and people are now saying the crisis
      far surpasses that of 1992.

      For more background information read about the famine relief program:

      http://iccf-holland.org/famine2006.html

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :-)-O Smiling doctor with stethoscope