Vim BOF in Amsterdam

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2004
      I will be doing a Birds Of a Feather session on Vim:

      Subject: Vim 7: Wishes and implementation
      Date: September 29
      Time: between 9 pm and 10 pm
      Place: Amsterdam, RAI congress center

      I plan to talk about what the plans are for Vim 7: what users would
      like to see added (using the voting list) and how to implement that.
      This is a discussion, I plan to do more listening than speaking.

      The BOF takes place during the Free Software Bazaar, part of the SANE
      conference. The Bazaar is free to attend, no registration required.
      Richard M. Stallman will do a presentation at the Bazaar. For more
      information see:

      http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2004/bazaar.html

      TUTORIAL

      There also is a Vim tutorial on Monday, September 27. It is intended
      for Vim users who know the basic editing commands and want to learn how
      to edit more effectively.

      This tutorial presents Vim solutions to every-day editing tasks, such as
      answering e-mail, writing source code and creating web pages. Practical
      examples will be given for clever solutions, which you can adjust to
      your own situation: Formatting text, finding your way in a tree of
      source files, using search patterns, etc.

      An introduction is given to customizing Vim to your needs. Writing Vim
      scripts with functions, creating user commands and mappings that you can
      automate editing tasks with. And when Vim is not enough, know how to
      invoke external commands and use the Perl or Python interface.

      THE SANE 2004 CONFERENCE

      The Vim tutorial is part of the SANE 2004 conference. There are several
      other interesting tutorials, given by experts in the field. Examples:

      - MySQL by the writer of the MySQL documentation.
      - Linux Firewals by the programmer of the firewall code in the 2.0
      kernel.
      - FreeBSD 5.2 by Marshall Kirk McKusick, author of the FreeBSD 5.2
      internals book.

      Presentations at the conference:

      - Keynote by Paul Kilmartin, Director of eBay.
      - Presentations by Unix veterans Peter Salus and Wietse Venema.
      - Oscar winner John Nelson on the special effects in the movie
      "I Robot".
      - And many others.

      For more information and registration: http://www.sane.nl

      --
      "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with nail clippings thrown in."
      -- Larry Wall