Vim version 4.6 RELEASE is available

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 1997
      Hello all!

      I have tortured you enough with beta versions, now it's time for the real
      thing. There are only a couple of small changes since version 4.6c. Not
      worth mentioning.

      This will (hopefully) be the last release in the 4.x series. Only when there
      is a really serious problem, a new release will be made. All development will
      now be concentrated on 5.0. I hope a first ALPHA version will be available
      within two weeks.

      I would like to thank everybody who helped testing the BETA versions, and
      reported success or problems. This is what gives Vim its quality!

      Note that the list of distribution sites has been updated. There is a mirror
      in South Africa and Australia now!

      VIM Distribution Sites

      Vim can be found at:
      ftp://ftp.oce.nl/pub/misc/vim/ (Holland)

      Mirrors:
      ftp://jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/unix/vim/ (USA, fast)
      ftp://ftp.nuxi.com/pub/vim (USA, fast)
      ftp://nuxi.ucdavis.edu/pub/vim (USA, fast)
      ftp://petrified.cic.net/mirrors/vim/ (USA)
      ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/misc/editors/vim/ (Germany)
      ftp://ftp.is.co.za/applications/editors/vim/ (South Africa)
      ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/vim/ (Australia)
      ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/vim/ (Germany, incomplete)

      A Linux binary statically linked with Motif can soon be found at:
      ftp://ftp.blarg.net/pub/vim
      ftp://ftp.nuxi.com/pub/vim/linux

      A few Win32 binaries (for NT on Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC) can be found at:
      ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/local/gvr/vim/

      Files:

      amiga/vim46src.lha Amiga packed sources (excluding src/tags)
      amiga/vim46bin.lha Amiga binary + docs

      atari/... Atari MiNT version (a bit later).

      os2/vim46os2.zip OS/2 binary (a bit later).

      pc/vim46src.zip MS-DOS packed sources (with CR-LF)
      pc/vim46r16.zip 16 bits MS-DOS binary + docs
      pc/vim46p32.zip 32 bits MS-DOS binary + docs
      pc/vim46w32.zip Windows 95/NT binary + docs

      unix/vim-4.6.tar.gz gzipped tar archive with sources + docs
      unix/vim-45-46.diff.gz gzipped diff between 4.5 and 4.6
      unix/vim-46c-46.diff.gz gzipped diff between 4.6c and 4.6

      vim_46.txt this file
      README README for version 4.6

      If you have problems with the diff for the documentation files, that's
      probably because there is a star in the first column of the first line in each
      file. You'll have to fix this by hand.

      -- What's next? --

      Release 5.0 ALPHA whithin a two weeks. This will have shocking new
      functionality, and probably a whole lot of bugs.

      -- Porting --

      Most ports are going just fine. Still new or incomplete are:

      Mac:
      Axel Kielhorn has been very quiet, but Dany St-Amant started working on it.
      Will take some time.

      VMS:
      The first version has been made available. I didn't get any feedback, this
      probably means it runs just fine... It's a separate set of files instead of a
      patch, because file names have been changed to fit VMS. Still at version 4.5.

      -- Reporting bugs --

      If you run into bugs or just don't like what you see, let me know. Best is to
      send me patches if you can. Otherwise send me a clear description of the
      problem. Include info about the machine you run it on, and the output of:
      :set all
      :set termcap
      :map
      :map!
      :au
      And any other things that apply. Send it to <mool@...>.

      -- Vim mailing lists --

      There are three mailing lists for Vim:

      <vim@...-berlin.de> about using Vim
      <vimdev@...-berlin.de> about developing Vim
      <vimannounce@...-berlin.de> announcements

      If you want to join send a message to
      <majordomo@...-berlin.de>
      and put "info" in the body (not in the Subject). Then Majordomo will give you
      a little help. If you have trouble with a mailing list, send a message to
      Felix von Leitner, who made this mailing list work:
      <leitner@...-berlin.de.>
      Don't ask him to subscribe or remove you from the list, use majordomo for
      that.

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      ARTHUR: Old woman!