61Vim 5.6 for 16 bit windows available

    Jan 25, 2000
      Hello Vimmers,

      The 5.6 version of Vim on 16-bit MS Windows is available now.
      The port should be stable, but has not been tested with a wide user base.

      You can get the port here:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc

      Or use one of the mirrors, see:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

      The following archives are available:

      gvim56w16.zip - executable with most features enabled, including toolbar and
      gui dialogues. Requires CTL3DV2.DLL (you should have it
      already, it's freely available anyway)

      gvim56m16.zip - executable with minimum features, intended for old machines
      with little memory. No menus, dialogues, or toolbar (but the
      mouse does work :)

      vim54s16.zip - pack of additional sources required to build the exes
      yourself. This is needed in *addition* to the main pc source
      archive.

      For all versions, you will need the main pc runtime files archive as well.

      All exes have been built with Borland C++ 5.02. The zip files contain readmes
      with extra info.

      Suggested usage guide for W3.1x users:

      If you have a fast machine (>=100MHz) and lots of RAM (>=24M) then you may as
      well use the Win32s port.

      If you have very little RAM (< 4M) then use the min-feat version.

      Otherwise, the standard Win16 version is probably your best overall bet.

      Bug Reporting
      =============
      If you find a bug, *please* try it on another version of Vim first - I
      recommend the 32-bit DOS version which will run in a Dos box. This is to
      separate general Vim bugs from those specific to the Win16 port.

      Notes on the Win16 Port
      =======================
      The Win16 Port has most of the functionality of its big brother, the Win32
      port. What is missing (and probably will remain so):
      1) Bold/Italic text not used (to speed up repaint/reduce resource usage)
      2) No tearoff menus (use too much resources)
      3) No OLE
      4) No long filename support (of course)
      5) No tooltips on toolbar buttons - instead they produce command-line tips
      like menu items do.

      Gotcha:
      It is recommended that you use a raster font and not a TrueType fixed-pitch
      font. e.g. Use Courier, not Courier New. This is not just to use less
      resources but because there are subtle bugs in the handling of fixed-pitch
      TrueType in Win3.1x. In particular, when you move a block cursor over a pipe
      character '|', the cursor is drawn in the wrong size and bits get left behind.
      This is a bug in the Win3.1x GDI, it doesn't happen if you run the exe under
      95/NT.

      [ This message was originally written by Vince Negri ]

      --
      WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
      collective.

      \ \ Vim: http://www.vim.org ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf / /