187Vim version 7.2a ready for BETA testing

    Jun 24, 2008
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.2a BETA

      This is a BETA release of Vim 7.2. It consists of Vim 7.1 plus all
      patches, updated runtime files and some more.

      I expect this to be reasonable stable, since most of the patches have
      been used by many people already. However, I did include several
      patches the last few days, this might break something.

      Please report every problem you find! The time until a 7.2 release
      depends on how many problems are reported.

      The biggest addition is floating support. Once you have installed Vim
      7.2a BETA you can find details about the changes since Vim 7.1 with
      ":help version-7.2".

      Testing
      -------

      This is a BETA test version. Please give it a good test and report
      anything that isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo in the
      documentation.

      I will not make an Amiga or OS/2 binary for Vim 7.2a. A Mac version is
      hopefully available soon on http://macvim.org/ and/or from the MacVim
      project at http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, this is the way to say thanks:
      http://iccf-holland.org/clinic.html

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      All files can be found below this directory:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.1):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      Vim 7.2a is also available from CVS (as soon as it finishes uploading).
      Subversion will follow later.
      http://www.vim.org/cvs.php
      http://www.vim.org/subversion.php
      Aap is still at 7.1.

      An overview of the files below "unstable":

      UNIX:
      unix/vim-7.2a.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      pc/gvim72a.exe self-installing, includes all runtime files

      VARIOUS:
      extra/vim-7.2a-extra.tar.gz source files for non-Unix platforms
      extra/vim-7.2a-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      doc/vim72ahtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      pc/vim72art.zip runtime files
      pc/vim72alang.zip files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim72a.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
      pc/gvim72aole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim72a_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
      pc/vim72ad32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      pc/vim72aw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim72asrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      DIFFS TO PREVIOUS RELEASE:
      unix/vim-7.1-7.2a.diff.gz sources + runtime files
      extra/vim-7.1-7.2a-extra.diff.gz extra files
      extra/vim-7.1-7.2a-lang.diff.gz multi-language files

      There is no 16-bit DOS version, I could not build it.

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <bugs@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me a
      patch if you can!

      If something needs discussing with other developers, send a message to the
      vim-dev mailing list. You need to subscribe first.

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :~) A man with a tape recorder up his nose

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.