Re: mlterm blocking Alt+I in vim-latex-suite

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
      > Thanks Tony,
      > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.

      You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?

      What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

      > It is quite
      > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
      > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.

      As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
      (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
      F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.

      Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
      (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
      pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
      you should not map Alt-i in Insert mode if you want to be able to type
      e-acute into your text.

      > Regards,
      > Zhang

      Old soldiers never die. Young ones do.

    • zhengquan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks Tony,
        > > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
        >
        > You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
        >
        > What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

        yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
        no mappings.
        I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
        environment, it will automatically insert a \item

        \begin
        {itemize}
        \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
        i)

        \end{itemize}

        > > It is quite
        > > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
        > > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.
        >
        > As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
        > (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
        > F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.
        I know this a workaround but I would like to pass alt-i to vim in
        mlterm. what I am doing now is that I am switching to some tasks to
        xterm. but the support for multibyte characters of xterm is feeble.

        > Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
        > (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
        > pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
        this is confusing me because if I type alt-i in under mlterm with my
        latex file, it will be a small-e-acute.
        but if I use xterm, it will insert a correct \item. So this makes me
        feel that the problem is with mlterm. It seems like an off topic issue
        now...

        Thank you for your help.

        Regards,
        Zhang

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          wrote:
          > On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks Tony,
          > > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
          >
          > You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
          >
          > What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

          yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
          no mappings.
          I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
          environment, it will automatically insert a \item

          \begin
          {itemize}
          \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
          i)

          \end{itemize}

          > > It is quite
          > > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
          > > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.
          >
          > As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
          > (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
          > F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.
          I know this a workaround but I would like to pass alt-i to vim in
          mlterm. what I am doing now is that I am switching to some tasks to
          xterm. but the support for multibyte characters of xterm is feeble.

          > Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
          > (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
          > pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
          this is confusing me because if I type alt-i in under mlterm with my
          latex file, it will be a small-e-acute.
          but if I use xterm, it will insert a correct \item. So this makes me
          feel that the problem is with mlterm. It seems like an off topic issue
          now...

          Thank you for your help.

          Regards,
          Zhang
          > you should not map Alt-i in Insert mode if you want to be able to type
          > e-acute into your text.
          >

          > > Regards,
          > > Zhang
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > Old soldiers never die.  Young ones do.
        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            zhengquan wrote:

            > On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
            >>

            >>> Thanks Tony,
            >>> the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
            >>>
            >> You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
            >>
            >> What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?
            >>

            > yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
            > no mappings.
            > I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
            > environment, it will automatically insert a \item
            >
            > \begin
            > {itemize}
            > \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
            > i)
            >
            > \end{itemize}

            I suggest that you find out what's being delivered to vim when you press
            Alt-i. What is being delivered is

            a) likely to be different between vim and gvim
            b) likely not to be what vim/gvim thinks <m-i> is

            I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
            after typing "nmap ". They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
            email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
            the same thing in vim's case.

            if has("gui_running")
            nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
            else
            nmap i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
            endif

            Of course, you can modify the maps' payload to suit your needs.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • zhengquan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2009
              Hi Charles, I think we are close to the solution to the problem.

              On Jan 2, 7:12 pm, "Charles E. Campbell, Jr."
              <drc...@...> wrote:
              > zhengquan wrote:
              >
              > > On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
              > > wrote:

              > >> You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
              >
              > >> What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?
              >
              > > yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
              > > no mappings.
              > > I am hoping that in  an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
              > > environment, it  will automatically insert a \item
              >
              > > \begin
              > > {itemize}
              > > \item   (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
              > > i)
              >
              > > \end{itemize}
              >
              > I suggest that you find out what's being delivered to vim when you press
              > Alt-i.  What is being delivered is
              >
              >   a) likely to be different between vim and gvim
              >   b) likely not to be what vim/gvim thinks <m-i> is
              >
              > I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
              > after typing "nmap ".  They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
              > email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
              > the same thing in vim's case.
              >
              > if has("gui_running")
              >  nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
              > else
              >  nmap  i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
              > endif

              I copied this code snippet to my .vimrc and tried in mlterm, but alt-i
              still inserts a small e acute... in gvim alt-i inserts correctly,
              Could you tell how can I debug the mappings?

              Thank you very much, I am pretty headstrong and don't want to use
              another mapping for the insertion.

              Zhang

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2009
                On 12/01/09 03:28, zhengquan wrote:
                > Hi Charles, I think we are close to the solution to the problem.
                >
                > On Jan 2, 7:12 pm, "Charles E. Campbell, Jr."
                > <drc...@...> wrote:
                [...]
                >> I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
                >> after typing "nmap ". They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
                >> email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
                >> the same thing in vim's case.
                >>
                >> if has("gui_running")
                >> nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
                >> else
                >> nmap i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
                >> endif
                >>
                > I copied this code snippet to my .vimrc and tried in mlterm, but alt-i
                > still inserts a small e acute... in gvim alt-i inserts correctly,
                > Could you tell how can I debug the mappings?
                >
                > Thank you very much, I am pretty headstrong and don't want to use
                > another mapping for the insertion.
                >
                > Zhang

                Small e-acute is the value internally used by Vim to represent Alt-i.
                If, without any mappings, Ctrl-V Alt-i inserts the same é for you on
                both gvim and Console Vim, it means it is recognized correctly.

                You could try

                :nmap <M-i> :echo 'Alt-i'<CR>

                If it works (in Normal mode), Vim sees alt-i correctly. However, it is
                never able to distinguish between Alt-i and small-é-acute, which means
                you should avoid using Alt-i for an Insert-mode {lhs} if you use
                languages like French, Spanish or Hungarian (all of which make heavy use
                of that letter), Chinese pinyin with tone marks, or even the English
                language with loanwords like /risqué jokes/ or /rosé wine/.

                I notice (by the Ctrl-V prefix trick) that on my system, Alt-i generates
                Esc i in Console Vim in both the KDE konsole and the Linux terminal. So
                I might use

                :if has('gui_running')
                : nmap <M-i> :echo "gvim's Alt-i"<CR>
                :else
                : nmap <Esc>i :echo "vim's Alt-i"<CR>
                :endif
                or even
                :nmap <M-i> :echo "gvim's Alt-i"<CR>
                :nmap <Esc>i :echo "vim's Alt-i"<CR>

                for a test similar to Dr. Chip's.

                No letters of the alphabet were harmed in the creation of this message.