Re: mlterm blocking Alt+I in vim-latex-suite

  • zhengquan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      Thanks Tony,
      the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings. It is quite
      possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
      wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.

      Regards,
      Zhang

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
        > Thanks Tony,
        > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.

        You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?

        What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

        > It is quite
        > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
        > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.

        As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
        (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
        F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.

        Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
        (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
        pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
        you should not map Alt-i in Insert mode if you want to be able to type
        e-acute into your text.

        > Regards,
        > Zhang

        Old soldiers never die. Young ones do.

      • zhengquan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks Tony,
          > > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
          >
          > You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
          >
          > What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

          yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
          no mappings.
          I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
          environment, it will automatically insert a \item

          \begin
          {itemize}
          \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
          i)

          \end{itemize}

          > > It is quite
          > > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
          > > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.
          >
          > As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
          > (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
          > F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.
          I know this a workaround but I would like to pass alt-i to vim in
          mlterm. what I am doing now is that I am switching to some tasks to
          xterm. but the support for multibyte characters of xterm is feeble.

          > Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
          > (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
          > pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
          this is confusing me because if I type alt-i in under mlterm with my
          latex file, it will be a small-e-acute.
          but if I use xterm, it will insert a correct \item. So this makes me
          feel that the problem is with mlterm. It seems like an off topic issue
          now...

          Thank you for your help.

          Regards,
          Zhang

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            wrote:
            > On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks Tony,
            > > the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
            >
            > You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
            >
            > What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?

            yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
            no mappings.
            I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
            environment, it will automatically insert a \item

            \begin
            {itemize}
            \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
            i)

            \end{itemize}

            > > It is quite
            > > possible that the mlterm does not pass the alt-i combo to vim... I am
            > > wondering how to make alt-i passable to vim in mlterm.
            >
            > As I said, if I were you I'd use a different key. You can even map F7
            > (or anything that Vim does see) to Alt-I and from then on when you hit
            > F7 Vim will interpret it as Alt-I.
            I know this a workaround but I would like to pass alt-i to vim in
            mlterm. what I am doing now is that I am switching to some tasks to
            xterm. but the support for multibyte characters of xterm is feeble.

            > Note that Vim cannot distinguish Alt-i from é (small-e-acute), or Alt-I
            > (Alt-Shift-i) from É (capital-E-acute). If you can type é (e.g. as e2 in
            > pinyin), Vim will see it as synonymous to Alt-i. This also means that
            this is confusing me because if I type alt-i in under mlterm with my
            latex file, it will be a small-e-acute.
            but if I use xterm, it will insert a correct \item. So this makes me
            feel that the problem is with mlterm. It seems like an off topic issue
            now...

            Thank you for your help.

            Regards,
            Zhang
            > you should not map Alt-i in Insert mode if you want to be able to type
            > e-acute into your text.
            >

            > > Regards,
            > > Zhang
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            > --
            > Old soldiers never die.  Young ones do.
          • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              zhengquan wrote:

              > On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> On 02/01/09 23:05, zhengquan wrote:
              >>

              >>> Thanks Tony,
              >>> the output of the two verbose commands shows no mappings.
              >>>
              >> You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
              >>
              >> What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?
              >>

              > yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
              > no mappings.
              > I am hoping that in an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
              > environment, it will automatically insert a \item
              >
              > \begin
              > {itemize}
              > \item (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
              > i)
              >
              > \end{itemize}

              I suggest that you find out what's being delivered to vim when you press
              Alt-i. What is being delivered is

              a) likely to be different between vim and gvim
              b) likely not to be what vim/gvim thinks <m-i> is

              I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
              after typing "nmap ". They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
              email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
              the same thing in vim's case.

              if has("gui_running")
              nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
              else
              nmap i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
              endif

              Of course, you can modify the maps' payload to suit your needs.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell

            • zhengquan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2009
                Hi Charles, I think we are close to the solution to the problem.

                On Jan 2, 7:12 pm, "Charles E. Campbell, Jr."
                <drc...@...> wrote:
                > zhengquan wrote:
                >
                > > On Jan 2, 4:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                > > wrote:

                > >> You did issue them with your latex file current didn't you?
                >
                > >> What are you hoping that this Alt-I should do?
                >
                > > yes I did issue the commands with my latex file, and the output show
                > > no mappings.
                > > I am hoping that in  an itemize environment, when I type alt-i in the
                > > environment, it  will automatically insert a \item
                >
                > > \begin
                > > {itemize}
                > > \item   (\item is inserted as the result of alt-
                > > i)
                >
                > > \end{itemize}
                >
                > I suggest that you find out what's being delivered to vim when you press
                > Alt-i.  What is being delivered is
                >
                >   a) likely to be different between vim and gvim
                >   b) likely not to be what vim/gvim thinks <m-i> is
                >
                > I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
                > after typing "nmap ".  They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
                > email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
                > the same thing in vim's case.
                >
                > if has("gui_running")
                >  nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
                > else
                >  nmap  i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
                > endif

                I copied this code snippet to my .vimrc and tried in mlterm, but alt-i
                still inserts a small e acute... in gvim alt-i inserts correctly,
                Could you tell how can I debug the mappings?

                Thank you very much, I am pretty headstrong and don't want to use
                another mapping for the insertion.

                Zhang

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2009
                  On 12/01/09 03:28, zhengquan wrote:
                  > Hi Charles, I think we are close to the solution to the problem.
                  >
                  > On Jan 2, 7:12 pm, "Charles E. Campbell, Jr."
                  > <drc...@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  >> I constructed the following two maps by pressing ctrl-v and then alt-i
                  >> after typing "nmap ". They "work for me"; that's not to say that the
                  >> email won't mutilate it nor that your terminal interface will deliver
                  >> the same thing in vim's case.
                  >>
                  >> if has("gui_running")
                  >> nmap é :echo "gvim's alt-i"<cr>
                  >> else
                  >> nmap i :echo "vim's alt-i"<cr>
                  >> endif
                  >>
                  > I copied this code snippet to my .vimrc and tried in mlterm, but alt-i
                  > still inserts a small e acute... in gvim alt-i inserts correctly,
                  > Could you tell how can I debug the mappings?
                  >
                  > Thank you very much, I am pretty headstrong and don't want to use
                  > another mapping for the insertion.
                  >
                  > Zhang

                  Small e-acute is the value internally used by Vim to represent Alt-i.
                  If, without any mappings, Ctrl-V Alt-i inserts the same é for you on
                  both gvim and Console Vim, it means it is recognized correctly.

                  You could try

                  :nmap <M-i> :echo 'Alt-i'<CR>

                  If it works (in Normal mode), Vim sees alt-i correctly. However, it is
                  never able to distinguish between Alt-i and small-é-acute, which means
                  you should avoid using Alt-i for an Insert-mode {lhs} if you use
                  languages like French, Spanish or Hungarian (all of which make heavy use
                  of that letter), Chinese pinyin with tone marks, or even the English
                  language with loanwords like /risqué jokes/ or /rosé wine/.

                  I notice (by the Ctrl-V prefix trick) that on my system, Alt-i generates
                  Esc i in Console Vim in both the KDE konsole and the Linux terminal. So
                  I might use

                  :if has('gui_running')
                  : nmap <M-i> :echo "gvim's Alt-i"<CR>
                  :else
                  : nmap <Esc>i :echo "vim's Alt-i"<CR>
                  :endif
                  or even
                  :nmap <M-i> :echo "gvim's Alt-i"<CR>
                  :nmap <Esc>i :echo "vim's Alt-i"<CR>

                  for a test similar to Dr. Chip's.

                  No letters of the alphabet were harmed in the creation of this message.