Vim auto indent -- cursor/file reposition to screen center

  • Uday Kumar Reddy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009

      I have Vim 7.2.60 on Linux. I now notice this change when I indent a file with ' =G'  (auto indent from current position to end of the file): the file is repositioned so that the cursor is at the center of the screen. Earlier, this used to not happen. I find this extremely inconvenient; gives a feeling of being lost in the file -- your position changes, you see parts that weren't there before and lose parts that were in view. Is there a way to make it work the old way, i.e., the cursor and file stay at the same place on the screen?

      Thanks.

    • Dominique Pelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
        Uday Kumar Reddy wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have Vim 7.2.60 on Linux. I now notice this change when I indent a file
        > with ' =G' (auto indent from current position to end of the file): the file
        > is repositioned so that the cursor is at the center of the screen. Earlier,
        > this used to not happen. I find this extremely inconvenient; gives a feeling
        > of being lost in the file -- your position changes, you see parts that
        > weren't there before and lose parts that were in view. Is there a way to
        > make it work the old way, i.e., the cursor and file stay at the same place
        > on the screen?
        >
        > Thanks.

        I can't reproduce it using Vim-7.2.76 on Linux. File is reindented and
        cursor position does not change for me.

        You probably have something in your settings that triggers it. Can
        you reproduce it with vim -u NONE -U NONE? If not, then you can
        try to narrow down by commenting pieces in your ~/.vimrc and/or
        removing local plugins until you find what's causing it.

        -- Dominique

      • StarWing
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          maybe you changed the option 'virtualedit' ? try to set it empty:
          se ve=

          On 1月2日, 下午6时26分, "Dominique Pelle" <dominique.pe...@...> wrote:
          > Uday Kumar Reddy wrote:
          > > Hi,
          >
          > > I have Vim 7.2.60 on Linux. I now notice this change when I indent a file
          > > with ' =G' (auto indent from current position to end of the file): the file
          > > is repositioned so that the cursor is at the center of the screen. Earlier,
          > > this used to not happen. I find this extremely inconvenient; gives a feeling
          > > of being lost in the file -- your position changes, you see parts that
          > > weren't there before and lose parts that were in view. Is there a way to
          > > make it work the old way, i.e., the cursor and file stay at the same place
          > > on the screen?
          >
          > > Thanks.
          >
          > I can't reproduce it using Vim-7.2.76 on Linux. File is reindented and
          > cursor position does not change for me.
          >
          > You probably have something in your settings that triggers it. Can
          > you reproduce it with vim -u NONE -U NONE? If not, then you can
          > try to narrow down by commenting pieces in your ~/.vimrc and/or
          > removing local plugins until you find what's causing it.
          >
          > -- Dominique
        • StarWing
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009