Re: problem building 7.2 -- Ubuntu 8.10

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      On 02/01/09 02:01, CCB08 wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have built vim successfully in the past, but I am running in to
      > problems on my new Ubuntu installation.
      > "./configure" appears to run w/o problems.
      > "make" appears to run w/o problems.
      > However, "sudo make install" ends with this:
      >
      > if test -d /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps -a -w /usr/local/
      > share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps \
      > -a ! -f /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/gvim.png; then \
      > cp ../runtime/vim16x16.png /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/
      > apps/gvim.png; \
      > fi
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated...

      After that, in the latest install log, I only have

      > cp gvimtutor /usr/local/bin/gvimtutor
      > chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/gvimtutor
      > make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/.build/vim/vim72/src'

      You can either decide that you don't need the GUI tutor, or run the
      first two of these three lines by hand after (if necessary) a cd to the
      src directory.

      You may also want to test that, if the directory
      /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps is a directory and is
      writable, it contains a gvim.png

      Expect the worst, it's the least you can do.

    • bill lam
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        Just for confirmation, I encountered no problem in ubuntu 8.10r, but I
        use --prefix=/usr instead. You may also try rm the file
        configure.cache before running the ./configure

        HTH

        --
        regards,
        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

      • François Ingelrest
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
          On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 02:01, CCB08 wrote:
          > I have built vim successfully in the past, but I am running in to
          > problems on my new Ubuntu installation.
          > "./configure" appears to run w/o problems.
          > "make" appears to run w/o problems.
          > However, "sudo make install" ends with this:
          >
          > if test -d /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps -a -w /usr/local/
          > share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps \
          > -a ! -f /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/gvim.png; then \
          > cp ../runtime/vim16x16.png /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/
          > apps/gvim.png; \
          > fi
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated...

          Does it end, or is it just long? Like Bill, I have no issue compiling
          the latest CVS Vim on Ubuntu 8.10 (without any prefix).