problem building 7.2 -- Ubuntu 8.10

  • CCB08
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello,

      I have built vim successfully in the past, but I am running in to
      problems on my new Ubuntu installation.
      "./configure" appears to run w/o problems.
      "make" appears to run w/o problems.
      However, "sudo make install" ends with this:

      if test -d /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps -a -w /usr/local/
      share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps \
      -a ! -f /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/gvim.png; then \
      cp ../runtime/vim16x16.png /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/
      apps/gvim.png; \
      fi

      Any help would be appreciated...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        On 02/01/09 02:01, CCB08 wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have built vim successfully in the past, but I am running in to
        > problems on my new Ubuntu installation.
        > "./configure" appears to run w/o problems.
        > "make" appears to run w/o problems.
        > However, "sudo make install" ends with this:
        >
        > if test -d /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps -a -w /usr/local/
        > share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps \
        > -a ! -f /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/gvim.png; then \
        > cp ../runtime/vim16x16.png /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/
        > apps/gvim.png; \
        > fi
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated...

        After that, in the latest install log, I only have

        > cp gvimtutor /usr/local/bin/gvimtutor
        > chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/gvimtutor
        > make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/.build/vim/vim72/src'

        You can either decide that you don't need the GUI tutor, or run the
        first two of these three lines by hand after (if necessary) a cd to the
        src directory.

        You may also want to test that, if the directory
        /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps is a directory and is
        writable, it contains a gvim.png

        Expect the worst, it's the least you can do.

      • bill lam
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Just for confirmation, I encountered no problem in ubuntu 8.10r, but I
          use --prefix=/usr instead. You may also try rm the file
          configure.cache before running the ./configure

          HTH

          --
          regards,
          GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

        • François Ingelrest
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 02:01, CCB08 wrote:
            > I have built vim successfully in the past, but I am running in to
            > problems on my new Ubuntu installation.
            > "./configure" appears to run w/o problems.
            > "make" appears to run w/o problems.
            > However, "sudo make install" ends with this:
            >
            > if test -d /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps -a -w /usr/local/
            > share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps \
            > -a ! -f /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/gvim.png; then \
            > cp ../runtime/vim16x16.png /usr/local/share/icons/locolor/16x16/
            > apps/gvim.png; \
            > fi
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated...

            Does it end, or is it just long? Like Bill, I have no issue compiling
            the latest CVS Vim on Ubuntu 8.10 (without any prefix).