Re: vim without esc and control keys

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
      On 31/12/08 20:51, Ben Kim wrote:

      > Dear Vimmers,
      >
      > I use putty to ssh into my machine from a windows mobile device (wing). It
      > doesn't have esc and control keys. I'd like to know whether anyone used
      > vim without esc and control keys.
      >
      > Thanks and happy new year to all.
      >
      > Ben Kim

      If it were only Escape which were missing, you could get it back by
      means of a mapping (or rather, a pair of mappings) such as e.g.

      :map <F2> <Esc>
      :map! <F2> <Esc>

      The lack of Ctrl key is not as obvious to work around. I don't know if
      it can be done.

      A worried young man from Stamboul
      Founds lots of red spots on his tool.
      Said the doctor, a cynic,
      "Get out of my clinic;
      Just wipe off the lipstick, you fool!"

    • zhao teng
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
        ctrl+c or ctrl+[

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          sorry, map it using Alt+any key that unmapped

          On 1/1/09, zhao teng <atengzt@...> wrote:
          > ctrl+c or ctrl+[
          >
          > On 1/1/09, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On 31/12/08 20:51, Ben Kim wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Dear Vimmers,
          >>>
          >>> I use putty to ssh into my machine from a windows mobile device (wing).
          >>> It
          >>> doesn't have esc and control keys. I'd like to know whether anyone used
          >>> vim without esc and control keys.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks and happy new year to all.
          >>>
          >>> Ben Kim
          >>
          >> If it were only Escape which were missing, you could get it back by
          >> means of a mapping (or rather, a pair of mappings) such as e.g.
          >>
          >> :map <F2> <Esc>
          >> :map! <F2> <Esc>
          >>
          >> The lack of Ctrl key is not as obvious to work around. I don't know if
          >> it can be done.
          >>

          >> Best regards,
          >> Tony.
          >> --
          >> A worried young man from Stamboul
          >> Founds lots of red spots on his tool.
          >> Said the doctor, a cynic,
          >> "Get out of my clinic;
          >> Just wipe off the lipstick, you fool!"

        • Ben Kim
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
            >map <Leader>c to <ESC>
            >map <F2> <Esc>
            >map! <F2> <Esc>
            >alt+c or alt+[
            >iabbr eee <ESC>3x

            Thanks for all the answers. I guess I can manage my problem with the
            suggested solutions.

            Ben Kim