Re: vim use in finland - keyboard/vim-speed relationship

  • Teemu Likonen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
      Tony Mechelynck (2008-11-29 13:37 +0100) wrote:

      > What are typical Emacs-like keyboard commands? Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Q
      > Ctrl-Alt-B Shift-Alt-M Ctrl-Shift-G maybe? (I don't know Emacs)

      Typical ones are more like

      Ctrl+<letter>
      Alt+<letter>
      Ctrl+x <letter>

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
        [..]
        > Are there any studies on this sort of this? IE, frequency of key use in
        > programming and the relationship between the most used keys and their
        > positions on the various keyboards?

        Hi Max,

        I don't think that the keyboard layout really does matter.
        If you care you will learn how to remap keys and how to switch keyboard
        layout. I've learned de (German), then switched to us because of / and
        writing paths on linux. Now I'm writing in dvorak. Sure it was hard in
        the beginning using different keys in vim. But you can learn it.

        Maybe just ask them why they don't like vim and why they prefer emacs?
        There are some things emacs does excellent. Eg it does take you less
        than 30sec to google how to run a cdb or pdb debugger in emacs. How much
        time do you have to spend on vim to do that?

        The reason I've learned vim and not emacs was that I couldn't navigate
        in emacs using c-f c-b c-n c-p. The cursor was never at the right place.
        Using ctrl-u seemed insane. And to be honest grabbing scripts from
        vim.org isn't the best experience either. But I'm working on improving
        that. Although vim has some limitations .. I don't want to live without
        it :-)

        Marc Weber